Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My Scrapbook Room

If you have read this blog at all the past few weeks, you know that I'm in the process of renewing and improving my scrapbook room. You also know that I am so stinkin' excited about it.

Why am I so excited? Well, I've only been waiting a year or more for this new and improved desk and room. In March 2008, my husband completed and installed my first desk. It was very simple. Basically a platform on two boxes that went from one wall to another. It looked like this.


I was very excited to have such a large workspace. The bottom was supposed to have shelves and doors on both sides. However, due to time and schedules this desk never got finished. In fact not long after it was installed we started putting down our hardwood floor and the it had to be taken out.

During this time, my husband decided he didn't like and could make me something better. He tore my first desk apart and used the wood to build tables for his shop.

Now it is January 2010 and we are making some serious progress on my new desk. My husband doesn't work as quickly as I would like for him to, but when he does work, he does GOOD work. He has been working on hard on my desk for the past few weeks. Once he finally starts a project it's go go go until it's finished.

So anyways... back to the scrapbook room as it is right now.

Here is where I'm currently scrapbooking. We bought me a folding table at Wal-Mart to work on until my desk was finished. This is also the wall that my old desk and new desk will be on.


Here is what my new desk looks like as of right now.



There will be one box on either side of the window. The open side of each box is going to be three drawers. One of them will actually just be a platform that my inspiration will sit on. This way it doesn't take up space on my desk.

For those of you who don't know what an inspiration is, here is a picture.

It hooks up to your computer. It will cut out letters, pictures, or whatever you have on your computer. Very Cool.

Back to the desk. Above the desk there will be open shelves for more storage.

I also have my big ugly green shelf for storage. Here is what that looks like. There is also a close up of the shelf color and the wall color.




I'm still trying to decide what color I want to paint the desk. I really want purple. That is what I've been envisioning this entire time. A deep purple. The color of this stand is actually the color I was originally thinking.


I really like this purple and how it looks with the blue walls and green shelf. I guess I'm just starting to worry that it will be too much purple. I mean this isn't a small desk.

So I've started playing around with other ideas. I was thinking about making the inset panels a different color like maybe a lighter purple. Or doing the frame is like a gray or something and doing the doors my dark purple.

I don't know. I can't seem to make up my mind. Any suggestions? What do you think? I'm open to all suggestions.

But that is where we are on my scrapbook room. I cannot wait for it to all be finished.

Oh... and between the desk and the open shelves that will be above, we are going to cover cork with fabric and do the criss cross ribbon. This will give me a place to put pictures. Obviously these aren't my colors, but it shows what I'm talking about.


I also want something like this somewhere in my room to hold layouts.




Soon it will be all finished and you may not ever hear from me again. I will busy scrapbooking. :)

4 comments:

  1. i love the colors in your room - that shelf that you just got fits in perfectly! I think a deep purple desk would be awesome in there. Go for it!

    You can find those long metal pieces to hang your layouts from at IKEA for less than $2. I have one that I hang baskets from with all of my embellishments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope we still hear from you! You don't know me...I'm Sara and Maddie's, Aunt Karen. I love reading your blog and I love your room. Purple is my favorite color, so I vote for purple! I think you are adorable and thank you for all your kind words and prayers for Maddie.
    Can't wait to see your room when it is all together.
    Love from, Wisconsin

    ReplyDelete
  3. That room is going to be AWESOME! I love the green shelf. I think for the desk...purple, black or even that green that the shelf is and then you could add artwork that has all of those colors in it. Going to look great no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo, Elaina! This is so exciting! I can't wait to see how your room turns out. I love your desk. How lucky you are to have a husband who does such good work! I am in the process of putting my basement together and pictures will be up soon. :) I also think that if you want a purple desk you should have a purple desk. :)

    ReplyDelete