Thursday, August 5, 2010

Projects Gone Bad

The husband and I attempted a few projects this past weekend.

I attempted to make tie-dyed curtains for my classroom. I'm decorating in our school colors this year. That means red, black, and white. I was originally going to buy some cute fabric and try to sew a valence. Then I decided it would be cheaper and fun to buy a flat sheet, tie dye, and make it into a valence. When I was searching online for a how to video, I realized I could have full length curtains using the sheet and no sewing would be involved. Sounded great since I don't really know how to sew. So I tie dyed my sheet and I hate it. It looks cheap, which it was. I'm not using them. I'm back to my original idea or buying a valence if I can one I like. However, a couple people requested to see the tie-dyed curtain so here is a picture.


Sadly I think it looks much better in this picture than it does in real life.

Together we put up and painted chair rail in our dining area. I love how it looks! BUT then we painted below the chair rail. I picked out this beautiful gold. Then I put it on my wall. YUCK!! I'm not sure if our dining area looks like it belongs in a Spanish restaurant or McDonald's Playhouse. Either way, I hate it. We will be trying again.

6 comments:

  1. Well ya just never know until it's on the wall, huh? I can find out the color of my bedroom and let you know. It's a yellowy gold. Just let me know. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The curtains look cute in the pic. If you are not going to use them as curtains you could use one of them to as a computer cover to keep the dust off during breaks! Love the chair rail but not sure about the paint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! That color is definietly bad. Hopefully it will be gone in the next day or two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually like the curtains for a classroom. Could you cut them and make them into a valance?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The paint episode made me truly laugh out loud - only because I am the same way. To me, paint NEVER looks the same on the wall, as on the color chip or in the can or on the lid...NEVER. I've bought several cans before finding the right one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know how I missed this post, but I'm just now seeing it! I hate it when paint lets you down! We've had that happen before :( And your tie-dyed sheet took me back to my 8th birthday party where my friends and I all tie-dyed shirts! HA! You need to show us pictures from your classroom! Oh and I have some tips on curtains if you want.

    ReplyDelete