Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Power of Words

Words.  I was reminded today just how powerful they can be.   Something was said about me today that really hurt my feelings.  Said ABOUT me.  The person couldn't even say it to my face. And yet I let it get me down.

The person was talking without knowing all the facts.  But that doesn't even matter.

The person probably has no idea that I even know something was said.  The person has no idea how these words hurt me.

Words are such a powerful thing.  They can tear us down or build us up.  Once words leave the mouth, they can't be taken back.  They have been said.

Today as I was allowing Satan to use the words that were said about me to bring me down, I kept playing the words over and over in my head.  No matter what I did I couldn't seem to think about anything else.

Words were consuming me.  

I did a little venting on facebook.  I was really wishing I was the kind of person who didn't let words hurt me so much.  I guess by posting on facebook I was hoping to hear that I wasn't alone with this struggle.

I wasn't expecting the huge outpouring of love and wisdom that came from my FB friends.  My friends not only reminded me of my worth and Who my worth comes from, but they made me laugh and forget about the very words that had been eating at me.

New words.  Encouraging words.  Words that built me up.  

The Bible says in Matthew that the words that flow out of our mouth are a direct reflection of what is in our heart.  

I want to surround myself with people who are encouraging and build me up as a person.  I want to be the kind of person who can return that kindness and love to my friends with the words that flow from my mouth.


No comments:

Post a Comment