Friday, June 21, 2019

Friday Favorites - Mackinac Island

Ever heard of Mackinac Island?

I hadn't.

At least not until we started planning our road trip.

Andrew kept talking about it and asking me all these questions about what I wanted to do there.

I was like DUDE!  I've never even heard of this place.

Turns out it was one of if not my favorite day of vacation. 


We packed a sack lunch and planned to picnic once we were on the island.

The growls of my stomach told a different story so we ate while we waited on the next ferry.


Sandwiches and chips were our favorite on the go lunch while on vacation.  And we ended up eating these on the go because our ferry arrived before we could finish.


The beauty of the island began on the ferry ride over.










Also a little chilly!




The island is this cute little touristy island where cars are not aloud.

If you want to get around the island during the summer you have three options.

Foot.

Horse.

Bicycle.

While this sounds quaint and fun, keep in mind horses are one-third of the transportation on the island.

Horses may be beautiful animals but the smell they can leave behind is not my favorite if you know what I mean.


We chose the bicycle for our method of transportation.

I loved this idea.  What is sweeter and more romantic than a bike ride with your sweetheart around an island.

I was also a little concerned because being sweaty and pumping those pedals can be the total opposite of sweet and romantic.

The bike lines are no joke on the island but it was well worth it.





This was my favorite activity of the whole trip.

The loop around the island was about eight miles.

Eight flat miles.

Flat miles are my favorite kind of miles.

They are sweet and romantic instead of sweaty and gross.

The views of Lake Huron were gorgeous!




It was so clear and so pretty.

As far as scenery goes Lake Huron was my favorite of the great lakes.

You know we had to take our shoes off and dip our toes in it.






This adorable portrait is brought to you by our handy dandy tripod.



Unfortunately we lost the remote very only on in the trip.  We ended up using the timer mode on our phones and that worked just fine.  We have since ordered some replacement remotes for it.  We loved this tripod because it is flexible.  We wrapped it around a bicycle handle for this picture.

I'm glad Andrew had the foresight to buy this before our trip.  It was easily one of my favorite things we bought for this trip.  If you want one you can order your own here

(As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases)


Well that got a bit commercially didn't it?

Back to the program.



The arch in Utah is my favorite, but this little arch on the island was pretty cool too.



One thing about the island that was not my favorite were the bugs!

Mosquitoes were everywhere as you rode along the water.

Wear sunglasses, keep your head down, and your mouth closed.

We veered off the main road to check out the local school.

MISTAKE!

My clothes were black from all the bugs that were on me.

But the school was cute.

And it was fun to think about living on the island and driving a snomobile to work every day during the winter.



I'm normally not a big ice cream person but something about vacation changes that.

We love some vacation ice cream.

And while Andrew is still talking about that apple pie ice cream in a waffle cone he ate at Biltmore a few years ago, this salted caramel ice cream in a cone was my favorite vacation ice cream.

I mean it had mini Reese's cups in it!


We sat on the lawn and enjoyed our ice cream.



You know just taking pictures of each other taking pictures of each other.


Seriously the cutest little island!

Touristy?

Yes.

I loved it completely.





Sadly the ferry returned to take us back to the mainland.

And we had to say goodbye to my favorite island.




But that doesn't mean the day had to end.

On our way to our next campsite we stopped by yet another of the great lakes.

Lake Michigan.






Lake Michigan, you were by far the warmest lake therefore you were my favorite.


Okay... I'm gonna need you to just go with me here because I'm going to back up in the day for a bit.  Before we went to Mackinac Island we stopped to see some of the Pictured Rocks.  I think I can safely say this road leading out there was Andrew's favorite road of the trip.  

So pretty!



And the Pictured Rocks....Gorgeous views!




We had discussed doing a cruise to see the Pictured Rocks but decided against it in the end so we would have more time on the island.  While I don't regret that decision I think if ever given the chance I'd like to take the cruise.  

Actually I want to do a kayak tour.  

That sounds fun.


Pretty sure this is the one and only picture we took with the remote before we lost it.  We should probably frame it or something.







The UP and Mackinac Island...

We'll be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment