Friday, November 20, 2009

Liberty Belle and Liam Bailey







I have never participated in a Show Us Your Life post by Kelly over at Kelly's Korner. But this week, she asked us to show our pets and I just couldn't resist. If you have read this blog at all, you know that Drew and I have two furbabies that we love A LOT.

Liberty Belle and Liam Bailey are most definitely our children during this season of life. And yes, they go by their first and middle name. :)


From the moment Andrew and I got married, I started begging for a dog. To be honest, I 'm not sure why I felt so strongly that I had to have a dog. We had dogs growing up, but I wasn't that close to them. They were just there and I was fine with that. Either way, as a married woman, I felt that I NEEDED a dog. The timing wasn't right at first. We lived in an apartment and were both very busy. Three jobs and full time school with student teaching between the two of us.

When we bought our house, I knew it was time. I began spending a lot of time on petfinder.com. That's how we found Liberty. Our first night with her was very adventurous. You can read about that and how she got her name here.

Before we got Liberty, I worried if I should have spent so many years begging for a dog. I started doubting that I wanted a dog as badly as I let on. Did I really want the responsibility of house training a dog? However, when Andrew brought her home, it was love at first sight. She is definitely my baby girl.


Liberty has been an adventure since day one. She has scratched a hole in our wall in the laundry room when we left her in there all day and night.

She ate carpet when we left her out in the house one day while we at work.

She still lives up to her name very much so. She cannot be trusted out in the open without a leash.

She sleeps in the bed with us. It took her several months to earn this privilege. But now she sleeps with her back against my back with her head on my pillow.

Despite my begging and pleading, she hates wearing clothes. She can jump like there are springs in her legs. She has gone from standing flat footed in our kitchen floor to being on our kitchen counter. She loves cheese and chicken, much like her mama. :) She doesn't like lettuce, tomato, or onion. (Again- just like her momma) She does not like riding in the car. She wants to be sitting in the driver's lap and she pants the entire time like she is going to hyperventilate. Rolling down the window only stresses out even more.

We carry her on our hip like she is a baby. She is my baby girl.

When we decided to get another dog so that Liberty Belle could have a playmate, I went through the same doubts. It may be silly, but I worried that Liberty would feel like we were trying to replace her, like she wasn't good enough.

I went back to petfinder.com and we found Liam Bailey. He already had the name Liam which we liked. We decided he needed a B middle name so that we would have two LB's. Andrew, Liberty, and I went to PetSmart to pick Liam up on my birthday last year. Liberty and Liam did not like each other at first. Don't worry they have grown to love each other.

Unlike Liberty, Liam started sleeping in our bed right away. He is Andrew's cuddle puppy. He sleeps right against Andrew's chest. Liam's favorite place to be is under the covers. He does not like to get up in the mornings. When we turn on the lights, he takes his little paws and covers up his eyes. Whenever we try to put him out in the morning, he runs and gets in the bed, rolls over on his back, and holds his paws in the air.

Liam loves to go bye-bye. He is your typical dog, loving to have the windows down with head out. In fact, if I leave and don't take him with me, he cries the entire time I'm gone. I didn't believe this at first. But I called Drew one night to see what he wanted to eat, and I couldn't hear Drew because of Liam's crying.


Liam is a little suck up. If you get on to him he will run up to you and cover you with kisses and lay on you. He doesn't want you to be mad at him.

Liam Bailey is also our snoring puppy. He has the cutest little puppy snore. :)

Like I said, they are our babies. We love them dearly. I dread the day they go to doggy heaven. I can't imagine our lives without our two furbabies.

2 comments:

  1. Your babies are just too cute! It looks like they are so happy and smiling in their pictures!

    ReplyDelete