Monday, January 2, 2012

2012

It seems we are already two days into the new year. I love starting a new year. I always go into it with high hopes. Some of my hopes may be unrealistic, but that's part of the fun in my opinion. Andrew and I are dreamers. I like that about us.

I always start the new year with the goal to spend more time in the Word, more time with Jesus. I think it is the most important thing I can do with the year. I recently started reading The Pursuit of Holiness by Jerry Bridges. I did a Bible study by him a few years ago on respectable sins that I truly enjoyed. It was one of those studies that cut deep down to the core. Those are the best kind - the hardest kind, but the best kind. I'm a chapter into this new book and I've already been convicted of things in my life that need to change. It talked about how we seem to downsize our sin because there are other people out there doing sins that are worse. That just isn't factual. In God's eyes sin is sin. He doesn't categorize sin the way we do. Our sin is offensive to God no matter how small it may seem to us. That is the thing that has stuck out to me the most. I'm trying to grasp just how offensive it is to God. We are sinning against Him.

Okay preaching over. It was more for me than you anyway. I'm trying to really take my time with this book and process it. As a lover of books, I tend to just read through it and move on without mediating and soaking in what it is God wants me to learn. I'm trying to not do that with this book.

While we are on the topic of books, one of my goals this year is to keep a running list of all the books I read in 2012. A few days before Christmas break, one of my students asked me how many books I had read since the beginning of school. I keep a board in my room that lets my students know what I just finished reading, am reading, and plan to read. Some of them really like to see it change. They've noticed it changes quite frequently. I was not able to answer the question of how many books I'd read, though I think I came up with a pretty good estimate. So this year, I plan to keep a list of books that I read. I'm curious to see how many I will read this year

I go back to work Wednesday. I'm sort of in denial about the fact. I'm not dreading it. I've missed my students and we have some exciting thing coming up this semester. But at the same time I have truly enjoyed my free time. I've read and scrapbooked and just enjoyed being home. I hope I can keep up with my scrapbooking once I'm back at work. I have several projects to finish.

Andrew and I have spent the past few days doing a little cleaning and organizing. We've haven't accomplished as much as I would have liked, but we have definitely made some progress. Our big project was cleaning out and organizing our attic. We hope that will help up with the inside of the house. Now we have a place to store things.

I'm looking forward to seeing what 2012 brings for our little family. There are some pretty big things that I would LOVE to see happen, but I'm trusting God in all of it. I am trusting that if we will let him, He will do big things in our lives and through our lives.



For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.

Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment