Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Sticky Words

While Andrew and I were in DC over Spring Break, I heard many stories about our country's history for the first time. One particular story came from my ever so brilliant husband as we walked through Arlington Cemetery. It was the story of Robert F. Kennedy's assassination. Kennedy had begun his campaign for presidency and was trying to get elected to the Democratic Party. He was giving a speech at a celebration for his successful campaign. He was to a certain side of the stage after his speech, but at the last minute they changed their minds and he exited the other side of the stage. Behind the stage on that particular side, awaited a man who was not fond of Kennedy. The man shot Kennedy and several of the staff in his rampage. People who were there to hear the speech heard the gunshots, but were unaware of what was going on. A man, I believe one of his bodyguards, ran onto the stage and asked, "Is there a doctor in the house?".

How many times have you heard that line? Writers come up with a short phrase for a speech, a movie, a book, or a television show, never planning for it to be a catch phrase. How many times have you heard the phrase, "Marsha, Marsha, Marsha" or "Run, Forrest, Run"? There are countless phrases like this that have stuck around for years. What is so special about Marsha, Marsha, Marsha? What causes any of these words to stick around? I don't know. I'm not sure the writer knows either.

It does make me wonder though. Is what I say worth sticking around for years? Do I have a catchphrase? And if I do, is it something I will be proud to leave behind? Sticky Words are very powerful. Just like any word, they have the power to tear down or to build up. It makes me very aware of what comes out of my mouth. What is someone repeats what I say? Is what I say even worth repeating? I don't know, but I know that if sticky words come out of my mouth, I want to make sure they are good ones. I want to make sure they are building up and not tearing down.

4 comments:

  1. I love this... I've never heard the phrase "sticky words" but it is perfect! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Sticky Words is new to me too. This is what I was thinking about last night as I was trying to fall asleep and for whatever reason the phrase sticky words popped into my head. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard it said that our words never stop - that they continue out forever...I think this is spoken words, maybe not written, but it's awesome to think about...also that sound travels so slow - you speak when your kids are 16 and they hear you when they're 30!

    ReplyDelete