Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Is it June yet?

Just Kidding... although I am exhausted. Today started early. I was up and going at 5:30. I wanted to give myself plenty of time and I needed to be at school early if I wanted a good parking spot. You see the first day of school is the one day parents love to drive their child to school. That takes up several parking spots. But on top of that, we are in the process of building a new middle school (VERY EXCITED ABOUT THAT) and it is going where our parking lot used to be. So... you can either get to school first and get one of the few parking spaces in the front or you have to park down by the gym and walk uphill. This is not the shortest walk. I made it to school by 7:15 and got a parking spot in the front. So far so good.

Now I made a rookie mistake today. A mistake that I shouldn't have made. I knew better. Last night I kept going through my closet, but I just couldn't settle on anything to wear. I had a good outfit but no shoes. That's right. I went and bought brand new shoes last night and proceeded to wear them today. Now let me tell you, my feet were styling today. But, they also had blisters before the first bell. Like I said, rookie mistake. Won't happen again.

Today felt very chaotic. I have 4 sections of 7th grade Science and 2 sections of 7th grade World History. I also have two study hall classes. It all went pretty well. I am so excited about teaching History. I can't even tell you. I kind of feel sorry for these kids. I am so going to be teacher that is way into what I'm teaching. :)

I must say that I have a couple of classes that I just love already. There are some hilarious kids in 7th grade this year.

The first day is always full of paperwork. Yuck. But it has to be done. I'm ready to get down and get busy with the good stuff.

I'm also having my first student council meeting tomorrow. I have some work tonight to get things ready for that.

For now.. I'm resting. The first day always wears me out. I'm thinking a hot bath, a good movie, student council stuff, and then sleep.

Oh... And I'm thankful that God waited on the rain until I was home and snuggled in bed.

And just because I haven't had a post with a picture in what seems like forever here is a pic of me and the husband in front the Capitol on our DC trip.

3 comments:

  1. Happy to hear you had a good 1st day!! Those kids are lucky to have a teacher who loves what she teaches. :)

    Haven't seen your pics from DC...that's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear your first day of school went well...you made sort of excited to have mine (Sept. 1). I laughed at your shoe debacle. :)

    Good luck on a terrific school year. I am excited to hear how it goes and your students are so lucky to have such an enthusiastic teacher!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked reading about your first day of school. I used to teach 7th & 8th grade English. Sometimes I would have three sections of English and two sections of 6th grade math. It definitely adds to the workload when you're preparing for totally different disciplines, such as science AND history. I loved what you said about some of your students being hilarious. I love middle school students! They can be so fun.

    Regarding your earlier post, your feelings are totally understandable. I'm 36 with three kids. I'm home full-time with them and love it, but there are still days when I really miss being in the classroom. I love the first day of school too!

    Enjoying your blog!

    Denise Hughes :)

    ReplyDelete