Saturday, August 29, 2009

One for the books...

I'm not sure at what point I'm supposed to stop absolutely loving my birthdays. I do know that after 26 years now, I'm not there yet. I always feel like most adults could take or leave their birthday. They treat it like any other day of the year. I'm not one of those adults. It may be selfish, but I still want a big deal made out of my birthday.

I had many great birthdays as a child. Out of my adult birthdays, my 24th always stands out in my mind. Andrew called his family and put together a birthday dinner for me. They came over and cooked and and hung out. He also surprised me with an ipod that morning. I just remember feeling very special and loved on that birthday. Not that I don't always feel that way. But it was that special birthday feeling.

I must admit that I had already decided that this birthday wasn't going to be anything special, just another day. I had prepared myself not to be disappointed. Andrew has been gone working all week and I knew that he would be tired and need his rest on his short trip home. I was determined to not be selfish and give him the rest he needed.

Friday was one of those Fridays where I was really glad the weekend had arrived. I was exhausted. I put on my pj's immediately when I got home and started cleaning. I had lots to do to prep for my Southern Living party. About thirty minutes into my cleaning, Jill calls. Some of the Weaver fam are going out to eat. I did what any good sister/daughter-in-law would do. I forgot about cleaning and went to eat. :) It was nice to hang out with them. I must say that I married into the absolute best family. They are great! So much fun to be with.

After dinner, I came home and managed to get all of my cleaning and prep work finished. Okay so I cheated on one thing. I bought a rug to cover up something that was going to take more effort to clean than I felt like giving at 11 PM. But now my guest bathroom has more color and looks so much better. It's amazing how a little thing can make such a big difference.

Saturday morning I got everything ready and the house smelling good. My guests began arriving and we enjoyed some cinnamon rolls, muffins, and fruit. I really meant to take a picture of all this, but in the busyness of the morning, I completely forgot. The party was a big success, at least in my opinion. I thought my food was yummy and the company was great.

I have not hosted many things like this in the past. My lack of experience often makes me feel like I am incompetent. I have sister-in-laws who throw a great party. Their houses are beautiful and everything is always so nice. I will admit, when I do something like this party, I always worry if they will think it was nice. But anyways... the more I do these kind of things the more I realize how much I enjoy it. And I feel like the more I do it, the better I get.

I just felt so blessed having everyone in my home to celebrate with me. They are all so very special to me. I wish I had gotten a group pic to share with you, but again I forgot. You will just have to trust me when I tell you I had an awesome group of ladies in my house yesterday morning.

After the party, I went with my Mom, Mommom, and two little cousins to do a little shopping. Mommom told me to pick out my birthday present while we were in Kirklands. They had this cute little owl container. He was kind of odd, but he made me smile. I knew that is what I wanted. He looks great in my kitchen. He reminds me of my Mommom's house when I was younger. She had an owl in her house. Her owl didn't look like my owl, but she had an owl none-the-less. Of course as soon as Andrew saw him he just said, "What is that?". I like him.

When everyone had gone home and I was left alone again, I put on my new pj's from Momma B. They are so soft and comfy. The dogs and I curled up in bed and begin trying to make a decision on my own Southern Living purchase. I thought I had it all figured out, but my party was bigger than I had expected and some of my wish list is going to be on sale next month. That left me pondering what to buy and when to buy it. Southern Living has so many great things that it is hard to choose.

Some of what I want is Christmas stuff. This just makes me ready to get the tree out and start listening to Christmas music. Unfortunately, I don't think the husband will be dragging the tree out of the attic until after Thanksgiving. That's okay. I will just enjoy this wonderful fall weather until then.

The husband got home around 9 last night. He was exhausted. We laid in bed watching The West Wing and were both asleep almost instantly. I know great homecoming. All that mattered was that he was home.

Today is my actual birthday, and I believe there is no better day of the week for your birthday to fall on than the Lord's Day. It is just the best way to spend your birthday. Church was so great this morning. I missed last week because I wasn't feeling well so I felt like it had been forever. It was an awesome worship experience. I am so thankful to serve a God that I can call on whenever and wherever.

After church, Andrew told me he was taking me to eat wherever I wanted. I chose Rib Crib. We forget we have one nearby so we haven't eaten there in a while. It was quite yummy. We brought a meal home with us because we just couldn't finish it all. It is so nice to have him home. After a good Sunday nap and some time just talking, it was time for the husband to leave again. As soon as he pulled out of the driveway, the tears came. I know I'm a big baby. I'm just awful at being by myself. I knew that if I stayed home I would just sit in bed and cry. That is not how I wanted to spend my birthday or the Lord's day. I kicked the dogs outside, jumped in the car, and headed to Journey Church. I am so glad that I went. I enjoyed seeing fam and friends. And oh my little J.L. I got two or three good hugs from that little guy. And I got to see my little K. She is getting so big.

Drew will be gone until Thursday this time so I have big plans. I think I'm going to the movies with some girlfriends tomorrow night. As for the other three nights, I want to get all my scrapbook stuff together and semi-organized. I have lots of projects that I want to do. This fall weather makes me want to do it even more. I don't know what it is, but something about fall makes me feel crafty. It also makes me want to cook and bake, which is rare for me. Anyways, I figure no better time to get lost in cleaning and organizing my scrapbook stuff than while the husband is away. I really hope that by his return, I will be ready to scrap again. I miss it.

Other than the fact that the husband had to leave again, this has been a great birthday. Definitely one for the books. :)

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you...birthdays are always supposed to be special. Never stop loving them!!

    Your party was so much fun and you were the perfect hostess...the food was awesome and the company was great!

    It was a nice surprise to see you walking into Journey...come see us anytime. :)

    Have a great week and if you change your mind about tomorrow night, let me know, k?

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Birthdays are special at my house!! Josh thinks Im crazy, but I like to make a big deal out of every single birthday!!! Like you, I try to talk myself into not being disappointed bc not everyone thinks it is such a big deal! I am glad that your Southern Living party went well. I love entertaining too - any excuse! Happy Birthday Elaina!

    ReplyDelete