Tuesday, May 19, 2009

22 Years Ago...

I need to blog about the wedding I attended Saturday, the not so nice lady who came into my room and chewed me out this afternoon because she was not pleased with my decision, and how I'm officially signed up for the greatest workshop ever this summer.

But not today. Today I have something far better to blog about. Twenty-two years ago today my parents brought home this little baby boy. Twenty-two years I ago I met one of my very best friends. Twenty-two years ago today my life changed for the better. Twenty-two years ago today... I became a big sister.

I was four years old. I don't remember how I felt about becoming a big sister. I don't know if I understood what was going on. I don't know if I was excited or dreading it. I don't remember if I loved him immediately or if it took me time. I don't remember Mom and Dad going to the hospital and I don't remember them coming home. Mom - these are all questions that you should feel free to answer. :)

What I do remember is playing in the yard all day and night until Mom made us come in - keeping our glasses of black cherry kool-aid on the window unit outside Mom and Dad's window.

I remember taking a pizza box that his Ninja Turtles costume came in and playing pizza delivery all night long.

I remember all the incredibly sweet birthday presents that he picked out for me all by himself. I remember loving the baby doll that I thought I was too old for just because he picked it out.

I remember taking my birthday money and buying two or three ninja turtles for him before buying anything for myself.

I remember not being able to walk through the house without stepping on some ninja turtle toy.

I remember tricking him out of the $5 egg at Easter because I wanted the money.

I remember hitting him a little too hard with a wooden spoon and he pushing me into the dryer. I really didn't mean to hit him hard enough to leave a whelp. And yes we got in big trouble for that one.

I remember watching him pitch for the first time and looking scared to death. He did a great job by the way.

I remember him getting hit by his first pitch and looking at us and saying it didn't hurt that bad.

I remember him giving me gas money so that I could come home from college for the weekend.

I remember the day I came home and he was suddenly taller than me.

I remember him driving all the way back home for the shoes I forgot on my wedding day.

I don't know if I loved him immediately or if it took time. But I do know I love him more than he will ever know. I know that he is one of the most talented people I know. He can do anything he sets his mind too. I know that there isn't a big sister out there who is more proud than I am. I know that I love watching him grow into an awesome young man. I know that I miss him. I miss living in the same house with him, joking with him, and scheming with him.

Seth Randall, I do realize that 22 sort of means that you are a grown man now and that you are old enough to get married. But you must know that even when you are old and gray, you will still be my baby brother. I love you bunches little bro. I hope you have the best 22nd birthday EVER!!!!


5 comments:

  1. dontu just h8 the way baby brothers try to grow up on you. Mine is 16 and not far of from joinin the USMC Im gonna cry. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an amazing post for your brother. I am really struggling watching my baby brother grow up. He is 10 years younger than me and it seems as if he should always be little. He is taking drivers ed this summer...So hard! Happy birthday to your brother! He is lucky to have such a sweet big sis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the writing and the layouts, so sweet!

    ReplyDelete