Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Never Say Never

A few months ago, I had the opportunity to attend "A Night With The Chapmans." I really enjoyed every minute of it, but I especially enjoyed hearing Mary Beth speak. That night she shared with us something she had written in her book. She told us there were three things she told God she would never do:
homeschool,adopt, & speak in public.

God has walked her through all three of those things now. After she finished telling us those three things she looked at her husband, Steven Curtis Chapman and told him she would NEVER spend 6 months on vacation in Hawaii with him. Of course we all laugh.

I wonder how many times God has laughed and will laugh because we've made our own plans. We've said we will definitely do something or we will never do something.

Growing up I always wanted to be a teacher. I don't think there has ever been a time in my life that I didn't want to teach. I have always been very specific in what I would teach. I wanted to teach history and english. I said I would NEVER teach math or science. I hated them. Do you know what I teach this year? Yes. Math & Science. And truth be told, I love it!!! Even more than history and english. God knew that.

I've said time and time again that I could NEVER be married to a truck driver or someone in the army or anyone else who was away from home all the time. I just didn't have it in me to be that wife. Well, I'm not married to a truck driver and I'm not married to someone in the army, but I'm married to the IT guy of a lumber company. Right now that means I'm married to someone who travels a lot. And you know what? God has not only walked me through that, but he has used to strengthen my marriage.

I'm sure there are plenty of other things I said I would never do because I couldn't and God has walked me through it anyways. Math, Science, and a traveling husband, are just the two that are prominent in my mind right now.

I am so thankful that God knows better, that his ways are higher. I'm thankful for the reminder that I'm not in control. He knows what He is doing and doesn't need my help.

What is something you said you would never do that God has walked you through anyway?

2 comments:

  1. I said I would never marry a preacher. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I said I would NEVER teach Middle School and nothing past 2nd or 3rd grade :) I have now taught for almost 8.5 years and have only taught 5th grade and 1.5 years of 6th. I LOVE 5th graders :)

    ReplyDelete