Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Simple Life Day #1 Part 2

I've had a change of heart. I decided to do only one day each week. I just can't seem to get this hospitality thing off my heart. I don't feel like I've gotten everything from it God wants me to take. So I'm going to continue to look at hospitality this week. I'll bring you day two Monday. All last night and all day today I've been thinking about the story of Jesus visiting Martha and Mary. Here it is to freshen your memory on what went down.

38As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. 40But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"
41"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, 42but only one thing is needed.[f] Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

This is taken from Luke 10:38-42

You have two very different women here. Martha who more worried about what her home looks like and the meal that they will eat. And you have Mary who is simply interested in Jesus. There have been several books and studies about these two women out there. All the ones I've read say you are either Martha or you are Mary - no combination of the two.

I'm afraid that I probably lead towards being more Martha than Mary. I always want my home to be very presentable. Who doesn't? However, Jesus says that Mary chose what was better. So, I don't have to keep a clean house and be a good cook!!! That is what Jesus is saying here right? I will definitely be sharing this with Andrew when he gets home. :) No, I still think your home needs to be presentable. That definitely helps in giving it that welcoming feel.

However, dictionary.com defines hospitality as the friendly reception and treatment of guests or strangers. It said nothing about my home - only how I treat people. More proof that hospitality extends beyond our home. Sometimes this is very hard for me. I allow myself to get so stressed out about my house, the food, my appearance, that I forget to stop and enjoy the time with the people. I even do this when it is family coming over.

So maybe those books are wrong. Maybe there is a way to be a little bit of Martha and a little bit of Mary all rolled into one.

Either way Jesus is coming - are you ready? I am!

1 comment:

  1. Am LOVING these! Thanks for sharing! Please keep doing so.

    :) Sara

    ReplyDelete