Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Power Teaching Works!!!

Last summer while searching for ideas to use in my classroom, I came across something called Power Teaching. I won't go into it because there is a lot that comes with this. I have used bits and pieces of it all year and have absolutely loved it. It is a great way to get students interacting and using vocabulary. If you know a teacher tell them to look it up on Youtube. I've seen it used in kindergarten classes all the way up to college classes.

Okay, back to the point. One part of Power Teaching is that after you introduce a new term, you have the students turn and teach the new term to their neighbor using gestures. They continue teaching until you call them back to attention. When you call them back to attention, all you do is simply say Class. All students immediately say yes, stop what they are doing and you have their attention again. You make interesting my changing the way you say class. The students must respond in the exact same way you said class. So if I say Classity Class, the students say Yessity Yes in the same tone I used. It is lots of fun.

So, for the past few days I've been sharing this with the other teachers at lunch. I knew it worked because I saw my students using their gestures to help them remember things during Benchmark last week. Well, our math teacher tried it today. I was so excited that she did. She is a math teacher and because of that the students do not care for her. She was telling us about today and was just so super excited that it worked. She had their attention immediately. We were laughing so hard because she was just so amazed and excited. I am so happy that I was able to share this with her and that it worked for her. After lunch, I talked to a few students and they were so excited that she was doing this.

One of the sixth grade teachers said that she would like to try it but felt it was pointless now because we are so late in the year. I told her that I had read testimonies where teachers didn't start until March or April and it turned their year around. She is going to try it tomorrow. I am just so excited.

They are also amazed at my technological abilities, but I must give Andrew credit there. He teaches me how to do it. I use power points in my classroom for note taking and that amazes them. I have plans to teach one teacher how to use power point. When I told them I used my cell phone to get online on my laptop, they said I should teach a technology workshop. This just made me think, Andrew could really make some extra money doing this. He is the real technological genius. :)

But in all honesty, credit must be given to all the members at proteacher.net A website every teacher needs to check out. It is a discussion board. I spend hours on there getting more ideas and thoughts than I possibly know what to do with. And then of course, credit goes to God. He has provided me all these things to be able to do this with including the ability. I am so thankful that he made me a teacher. I love my job!!!




I was going to give you the downside of my day too. I made a student cry. :( But since this post has gotten quite lengthy, I'll save that one.

2 comments:

  1. I loved reading that you love your job!! Made me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elaina,

    Thanks for the ideas!!! I am going to have to check out that website.

    I agree; it's never too late in the year to try out a new idea. ;)

    I can't wait to hear a bout how you made a student cry. I've done it too. I think crying shows they understand that what they did was wrong...so it's affirming for me in a weird sort of way.

    I also enjoyed your ABC's.

    :) Sara

    ReplyDelete