Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Worship

When I hear the word worship, I immediately picture a group of Christians standing singing songs. I think we all have this picture of worship. We even classify certain songs as worship songs. Well what makes a worship song? Is it the words? Is it the tune? Is it the style of song? What is it?

Sunday, Alex preached on worship. I missed his sermon because I was working with Journey kids. After service, I asked Andrew what the sermon was about. He briefly told me the sermon and then to be honest I forgot about. I honestly hadn’t thought about worship since then.

Until today. We have a Christian Council at school. This group of students meets during lunch once a week to pray and spend a few moments in the Bible. The teacher who normally holds these meetings is gone this week and she asked me to let them meet in my room. I was honored to do this.

Anyways, they invited Gary in to do their devotional today. He is student pastor at a local church. Guess what he talked about? That’s right. Worship. He shared a story about his buddy in high school.

His friend, Josh owned a Ford Mustang that he cherished. Josh owned every Ford Mustang magazine there was and read each of them front to back. This guy lived Ford Mustang. He knew everything there was to know about his car and was constantly buying new accessories for his car.

Gary then asked the kids if they could show him where the carburetor was in a car? A few them raised there hands and said yes. He then asked if anyone could show him where the muffler bearing was under the hood of a car. Three students raised their hand. They swore up and down they could point out a muffler bearing. He then proceeds to them that no one in this room could show him the muffler bearing because it did not exist. He made it up. The kids of course loved this.

Then came the hard question. He asked if anyone in the room would be able to tell if he made up a scripture and claimed it to be in the Bible. They all had this very thoughtful “Oh”. He asked if we had read the “magazine” from front to back. Do we know everything in it? Do we study the scripture?

Worship is more than a certain style of music. Worship is more than music. Worship is a state of mind. It is an attitude. Today I’ve just been thinking about what I’ve been worshiping. It sounds crazy to say that I worship my computer and television, but I guess I do. I spend time playing on the computer and watching television instead of spending time with God.

Worship is something that can happen anywhere at anytime. It is something that should happen a lot more frequently than just on Sunday mornings. I know that I have been guilty plenty of times of standing in church on Sunday morning singing a song, but thinking about other things. Having the words of a “worship” song come out of my month is not enough. It is not worshiping my God who is definitely worthy of my worship.

I challenge you to really think about worship this week. I know I definitely will be. Think about who or what you worship. Think about how you worship. When do you worship? Where do you worship? With whom do you worship?

2 comments:

  1. Great post Elaina! We can worship anywhere anytime even when the Government says we can't, we can! Very thought provoking. Have a blessed Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so appreciated your post today. Amen and Amen!
    Your Momma B

    ReplyDelete