Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Battle

For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places. Ephesians 6:12



Friday night I was missing the husband like crazy. He's been gone two weeks now and I was definitely feeling lonely and bored... not a good combination.

I picked up the phone and called him, while allowing myself to get my hopes up that he would be home Saturday night. He told me it was going to be late Wednesday night before he would be home.

I lost it!! The tears came instantly. I allowed Satan to help me host a pretty big pity party. I was tired of being alone and having two sick dogs wasn't helping matters. I even allowed Satan to convince me that the husband didn't even miss me.

Oh the things we let Satan do to us. Someone once told me that Satan would attack my marriage every chance he got. We weren't shielded from this just because the husband and I are both Christians. If anything, I think that makes us more suseptible to Satan's attacks. Friday night it was like I just welcomed Satan in with big open arms. I let him tell me things that I know are not true.

Saturday I woke up and while the pity party was over, I wasn't completely out of it. The excitment doesn't end as soon as the last guest leaves a party. You are still on that emotional high from all the excitement. That is where I was Saturday, only it was more of an emotional low. Maybe a more accurate statement would be that the pity party had just been downsized.

This morning feeling a strong desire to worship God with other believers, I went to All Points Church. Brother David's message was from Ephesians 6. God really spoke to my heart. He reminded me who this battle was really against. It's not against my husband or his job or his boss or anyone else. The battle is a spiritual one. It is against Satan and Satan alone.

My strength to fight this battle is not my strength at all, but that of God. It is only through God that I can fight this spiritual battle that I face every day not just when the husband is away.

As soon as service was over this morning, I knew that I wanted to visit Journey Church tonight. I wanted more. I was thirsty for God. That in itself felt good. It's been too long since I was thirsty... truly thirsty.

Tonight at Journey, Alex preached from Psalm 28. His message?? He reminded me that the battle is one not of flesh and blood. It is through God's strength that we fight this battle.

Um... WOW!! Two different churches. Two different pastors. No relation at all and yet I got the same message twice in the same day.

I'm so thankful for the reminder that the battle is not against any thing or any one in this physical world. It's a spirtual battle. God is on my side. It is through his strength that I can face this battle. It's a battle that my God has already won. The victory is already his. Through him I will make it through not only the next three days without my husband, but through the rest of my marriage until God calls one or both of us home.

3 comments:

  1. Amen!!

    So good to see you tonight. Thanks for helping me with Amelia.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog. It is an inspiration to me and I always enjoy the scriptures you include. This made me realize some things about my own marriage. I get mad at Matt for not being off for certain events since he is only off every other weekend but from now on I will try to just be satisfied with the times we do have him on the weekends and realize it is not his fault. I am sure he would love to be with us all the time too!
    Thanks for sharing!

    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dont you love it when God shows up in such a big way? Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete