Tuesday, June 22, 2010

First Post-Op Visit

Yesterday afternoon the husband took me to my first post-op visit. I was more than ready for this doctor's visit. It was a chance to get out of the house and lately those seem to be few and far between. I was also very curious about what my foot looked like.

I was feeling pretty good when we arrived at the foot and ankle clinic. They called my name and the husband and I walked to the end of the hall to my room. Okay so he walked and I hobbled.

The nurse came in and laid this plastic on the ground under my foot. I immediately began to feel sick. Just how bloody and gross was my foot going to be? The doctor stopped by and let the nurse know that we needed to do x-rays. GREAT! More hobbling!

Going down to the hall to have x-rays done was just about more than I could handle. I thought I was going to get sick right then and there. Standing up for x-rays took everything I had. It was just plain awful.

After x-rays the nurse came in and started cutting off my bandage. Literally cutting it off. There was a lot of stuff wrapped around my foot.

I turned my head. Seeing my foot wasn't such a good idea all of a sudden.

Having it unwrapped and able to breathe felt really good. I finally got up the courage to take a peek. I didn't think it looked like bad at all. Not even a little bit gross.

The doctor said everything looked great! My bone and the pin they put in are exactly where they are supposed to be. I go back next week to have x-rays done again and have my bandages changed again. I was glad to learn that I will never have to change my own bandages. That is something that is better left to the professionals.

After we left the doctor's office, the husband rewarded me with a butterfinger ice cream bar. I LOVE these and they are getting harder and harder to find!!

We went by his office so he could drop off some paperwork and then we headed to Joy's. They had some crutches they were going to let me borrow. We ended up being at their house for several hours. Joy and I talked while the boys played indoor golf. They always come up with something to entertain themselves.

We ended up staying through dinner. Joy made us the most delicious chicken quesadillas! They were so good!! I only ate half of mine so Joy wrapped my other half up for me for lunch today.

After we left Joy's we went to Wal-Mart to pick up some food for me and some travel items for the husband. He left for San Antonio early this morning. I cruised around Wal-Mart on this bad boy....

Let me just tell you, they don't go fast AT ALL!! It was awful. The husband kept asking me if I was flooring it. LOL!!

This long day completely wore me out. I think I might have over did it. I was in pain by the time I got home last night and still had a little pain this morning.

It's much better now, but my tailbone is getting sore. Ha! Staying in bed all day every day can be rough on a girl.


  1. Now, the scooter pic is priceless -LOL! Foot looks great. It's amazing how quickly staying in bed zaps your strength, huh. You be back up and around in no time though! Love, Momma B

  2. OMW...I have always wanted to ride the scooter at Walmart!! You don't know how many times as a huge, pregnant woman that I was so tempted to jump on that bad boy. LOL That pic is hilarious!

    Your foot looks really good and I know personally how being down and having surgery can take every bit of energy you have. Take it easy. Amelia and I will see you later today!!

    Love you!

  3. New to your blog, so I'm not sure what happened to your foot, but it looks painful! Hopefully everything is ok!

  4. Wow. Glad to know your foot is healing well. I know it can be such LONG process. I loved the pictures. Very fun.