Thursday, December 3, 2009

Four Eyes

I got my first pair of glasses in the 3rd grade. We had done the vision screening at school and the nurse sent a note home to my mother. So off to the eye doctor we went.

My mother, being the wonderful woman she is, let me pick out my glasses all on my own. She wanted me to be happy with them. I chose the biggest reddest glasses I could find, I think. Here is a picture of me and my first pair of glasses.


The next two years, I pretty much picked out the exact same pair. They got a little smaller and a darker red, but still big red glasses were my thing. I have to tell you, because of the above picture Andrew says he will never let our kids pick out their own glasses. I of course disagree. My glasses may be dorky now, but I loved them then. And to be honest, I don't remember anyone making fun of me.

Either way as I got older my glasses got less cool. Not in style, but just because they were glasses. In 7th grade I gave contacts a go and hated them. I wanted them out pretty much as soon as the lady put them in my eye.

I tried again in 8th grade and that time they stuck. I've worn contacts ever since. In fact, after 8th grade I didn't own a pair of glasses.




Not until Andrew and I were married anyways. The first summer we were married, for whatever reason I decided I just had to have a pair of glasses. I think I told Andrew I wanted them for when I was up late studying and doing homework. WHATEVER! I just wanted cute black glasses.

So in September, my glasses came in. I thought I could just put them on and go. That wasn't the case. If you have gone from contacts to glasses, you know that at first the glasses will make you sick. I was used to my vision be corrected at my eye, not out in front of my eye. With my glasses, everything was curved and flat surfaces looked very steep. I wouldn't wear my glasses more than 30 minutes and I would quit. Andrew kept saying I had to get used to them. No thank you. I didn't care that as newlyweds we just made a sacrifice paying $300 for my glasses.

Back in the case the glasses went, the case went into a drawer never to be touched.

Last year, when we were putting the hardwood floor and everything was moved around, the glasses got lost. I came across them a couple of weeks ago. For some reason that I really don't know, I decided to give them a go. I honestly think I've worn my glasses more in the past two weeks than I have my contacts. If I go to school in contacts, I come home and immediately switch to my glasses. I really like them.

They don't make me sick at all. I'm not sure why I changed my mind. Maybe it was because someone said they make me look older. Or maybe it is because I've convinced myself that the glasses help me not look dead in pictures. Whatever it is, I really like my glasses. It doesn't even bother me that the sweet husband called me four eyes the other night. :) We might just get our moneys worth after all.

Glasses now...

2 comments:

  1. thats what was diff when we saw you the other night I so could not put my finger on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love your story! When our daughter was four, we took her to the eye doctor, and sure enough...she needed glasses. And not just when she's reading either. She has to wear them all the time. She's six now, and it's just amazing what a difference it has made. We always assumed she was very shy and introverted, but once she could SEE things around her, she became much more outgoing. Now she's a wild and crazy goofball. We love it. And yes, I let her pick out her glasses. They're little pink wire-rimmed glasses. So cute.

    And I like the pic of you with glasses. It sort makes me wish I needed a pair! :)

    ReplyDelete