Wednesday, December 23, 2009

You Can't Make This Stuff Up!

Okay so let me just set the scene for you.

It's between 8 and 8:30. I am overwhelmed and stressed with everything that I still need to get done tonight. I finally lose it when my Mommom's gift isn't as easy as I had hoped. More on that later.

Now I'm in the middle of a full fledged breakdown. I'm bawling and overreacting to EVERYTHING. I go into the bedroom, where my dear sweet husband is 1/2 asleep. I'm stomping around putting close on, crying, and trying to explain to him that I have to go buy Mommom a new gift right at that very moment. He is half laughing at me and trying to figure out what in the world I'm so upset about. Like I said, he was half asleep.

Being in this overdramatic meltdown that I'm in causes me not to respond well to his groggy response to my overreacting.

I slam the bedroom door and get in my car to go find my Mommom a gift. By this time it is like 9. And did I mention that is has been pouring down all day.

I back out of the driveway and I see this little white hairy dog run into our front yard. He heads straight to the door. I can tell the little guy is just trying to find a dry spot. I get out of my car and call him. He comes right to me. I'm hoping he has a caller on so I can just take him home. No such luck. So I carry him in. I open the bedroom door and just stand there holding this white dog.

Andrew starts asking questions, none of which I know the answer to. He ask if it is a boy or girl. I hold the dog out for Andrew to see, but the little guy is too hairy to see anything.

We start figuring out what we are going to do. After about 20 or 30 minutes, I told Drew I was tired of holding the dog. Drew tells me to put him in the backyard. We have an awning back there where he could stay dry. I put him out there, and am standing at the back door watching him and for the first time I notice that his is hobbling. Then I noticed I didn't see a back leg. So I open the door and go pick him up. Sure enough... this little white dog only has 3 legs.

So now we have a 3 legged dog and no one is answering the phone. Drew tried calling humane society, local police, shelters... EVERYTHING. No answer. Drew even went out in the pouring rain knocking on doors, but had no luck. Besides, at that point it was too late to be knocking on doors.

We finally called the fire station who gave the number for dispatch. They sent a couple of police officers out to our house. They gave a number to City Hall who would be open in the morning at 8. So the little dog was going to spend the night in our backyard.


Fast forward to Christmas Eve morning (today).

We got no sleep at all last night. The white dog outside cried all night which led to our dogs crying all night. I was up until 2 with Liam crying. I think I might have gotten a total of 3 hours sleep last night. (Major cure for the baby fever)

At 8, Andrew got up to call City Hall. No Answer. About that time, we heard a guy standing outside our house talking about a dog. Andrew peeked out the window and there was this guy on his cellphone in the rain. Andrew threw on some clothes and ran to the front door. Andrew said he hugged the guy. His name was Scott and he was Zoe's owner (We finally learned her name). They don't know how she got out.

He was thrilled that he found her. We were even more thrilled that he found her.

Now it is almost 10. I'm getting ready to go to my grandma's. Andrew, Liberty, and Liam are fast asleep in the bed. They needed a nap before it was time to go. I will be sleeping in the car on the way.

Very adventurous night with thankfully a good ending.


And here is our 3 legged friend, Zoe.

3 comments:

  1. This would only happen to you guys! LOL You are so sweet to pick that dog up and take it to your backyard. So happy the owner showed up! Sleep well tonight. :)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! It sounds like you had a great day! LOL! You look so impressed to be holding that dog. That just cracked me up!! I'm glad the owner found the dog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. What a night! I'm glad Zoe was reunited with her owner. I bet you are too! :)

    ReplyDelete