Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Really Thankful

Real is the word that has been on my mind nonstop since Friday night. If you remember, Andrew and I left our church home in October. At the time, we were in NO hurry to join another church. I'm not sure that we are in any hurry now. We aren't looking for what you find in most churches right now. We want something real, something that isn't about anything except relationships. Relationships with God and with those around us.

This was really brought to the forefront of my mind Friday night. Andrew and I stopped by to see his sister, Joy, because I need to pick something up. Andrew and our three nephews played basketball outside in the frigid cold. While they were out freezing their tooshies off, Joy and I sat inside and talked.

Now I have to back up to the early years of our marriage. Back when my father-in-law pastored a church here in Little Rock and we all went to church together. Joy was my Sunday School teacher at the time. Being in her class, being around her made me want to grow as a Christian. Her love for the Lord was definitely contagious. I instantly began to look at Joy as a spiritual role model.

When we all left that church, I wasn't seeing Joy every week like before. And I've really missed that.

Back to Friday night, as Joy and I talked, I just remembered how much I love her and enjoy spending time with her. We don't get to do it nearly as often as I would like. Our conversation just brought the word, REAL, to mind.

Joy's love for the Lord is definitely real. It's not a show. In fact there isn't anything showy about it. Just being around her for a few minutes, you would pick up on how much she loves the Lord. I admire her in so many areas. She is such a godly wife and mom.

I just so enjoyed our conversation Friday night. We talked about church today and just wanting to be apart of something that was real. She and her family are part of a home church. You can see that they are doing what they feel like God is telling them to do even if it isn't what some people consider the norm.

As soon as we got in the car to leave that night, I told Andrew I really enjoyed it. It was great conversation with Joy. She always makes me want to just praise God and draw closer to him.

Yesterday, she sent me a text asking if she could bring me lunch today. I was so touched. I immediatley started crying.

So today she came with lunch in tow and we enjoyed more converstation in my classroom for a little over an hour today. Before she left she told me that God had just laid me on her heart this week and that she had been praying for me. I have tears running down my face as I write this now, because it has just really blessed me.

I am so lucky to have married into such a wonderful family. I honestly can't tell you how thankful I am. I truly have the best in-laws.

I did a lab with my Science Class today that involved throwing a marble into flour, so I was a little stressed by lunch. Joy's visit just reminded me that God was in control. He has his own plan and they are far better than any plan we could come up with on our own. He knew I would need this visit on this day.

How lucky are we to serve a God that always has things under control?! He knows exactly what we need and when we need it. For that I'm so thankful.

I love you Joy. Thanks again for lunch and the visit. I truly enjoyed it.

4 comments:

  1. She is the best sister ever and has the biggest heart! I'm so happy you guys had lunch and that you had a wonderful day!!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw! I love this post. Thanks for sharing it. :)

    I also loved what you shared about your teaching experiences on my blog. It made me smile....we middle school teachers are made from the same cloth, aren't we? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was such a sweet post.... I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so very lucky to have great inlaws!! What a blessing!

    Our church centers everything around relationships (with God and with people), so there are churches like this out there, just keep searching! good luck.

    ReplyDelete