Monday, January 12, 2009

Simple Life Day #3

Answered Prayer

It shall come to pass, that before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear. Isaiah 65:24

A thunderous roar pelted the ground outside of Rebekah and Samuel's bedroom window, and they bolted upright in bed. "Was in der welt [what in all the world]?" Rebekah exclaimed. "What is that horrible noise?"
Samuel scrambled out of bed and rushed to the window. "It's the mules! They've gotten out of the barn."
Rebekah grabbed her robe from a wall peg, and Samuel stepped into his trousers, pulling his suspenders over his shoulders. There was no time for further discussion. They needed to act fast. If the mules made their way to the road, a car might hit them. If they trampled the vegetable garden or the cornstalks in the field, everything would be ruined.
Samuel rushed out the back door, and Rebekah stepped into the cool night air behind him. She paused and offered a silent prayer. Dear Lord, please help us get the mules back to the barn.
A few minute later, Rebekah turned the corner of the house and was surprised to see Samuel heading for the barn with ten draft mules obediently following. She breathed a prayer of thanks, as she helped him secure the mules inside their respective stalls.
"I'm surprised at how easily you led them in," she said.
Samuel nodded. "As soon as I left the house I began praying that the mules would cooperate."
"I was praying that too."
Samuel smiled. "I know there are times when we must wait for God's reply, but it never ceases to amaze me when he respond so quickly to our prayers."
She nodded. "I think sometimes, even before we ask, the Lord answers our prayers."
One of the reason people pray is out of a sense of need. Sometimes, however, we forget to pray and instead try to take matters into our own hands. Even though God knows our needs before we ask, He wants us to seek His help. He may answer quickly or make us wait, but we can be sure that He will answer, according to His will.
In 1 John 5:14 we are reminded: "And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us."
May we always remember to call on God whenever we have a need.

Food For Thought: If you are too busy to pray, you are busier than God wants you to be.

Food For The Body:

Cornmeal Muffins
1 1/2 cups cornmeal
1 1/2 cups white flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 eggs
Milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix the above ingredients together in a large bowl and add enough milk to make a stiff batter. Spoon into greased muffin tins. Baked 25-30 minutes. Serve warm. Delicious with honey.


How often have you prayed a prayer like the one Rebekah and Samuel prayed? Something that seems so simple. I have prayed quite a few times that the Lord would help me find my keys. :) So far that is a prayer that He has always answered. Just this past Saturday I was praying that God would help Andrew find something he needed. The Lord answered that prayer.

Yet, how often have I tried to do or fix something myself without taking it to God? Way too often is the answer. And the weird thing - the things I try to do myself are the big ones. I recognize that I can't find my keys on my own, yet I think I can decide my masters degree, who to witness to and when, and the courage to witness on my own without any help from God. For me, those are true examples of things I'm working on right now. And when I ask myself how many times I've prayed about them and truly meant that prayer - Well, the answer is embarrassing. Especially when I just prayed two days ago to find a computer part.

God answers prayers!! There is not a doubt in my mind. I guess I just always assume he is going to answer my prayer to find my keys on my time and in my way. So far He has done that. I've always found my keys and just in time before I'm late. With the big stuff, he might not answer in my way on my time. I might have to actually go witness to that person right now. I might have to take part in a program this summer that terrifies me. But!!! I also know that I can do all things in Christ who gives me strength (Phil 4:13) and God doesn't give me anything I can't do .... without Him. :)

I love the Food for Thought this week. If I'm too busy too pray than I am much busier than God wants me to be.

My prayer for myself and for you this week is that we would take the time to pray, to pray about the little stuff and the big stuff. God cares about all of it. Stop blogging (that's to me) and pray. Spend time with God. He's the best friends you'll ever have.

1 comment:

  1. Dido Girl!!! I am so glad to see how God is working in your life. Never cease to believe He cares about every detail of our lives:)
    -Joy

    ReplyDelete