Thursday, January 22, 2009

Not such a great teacher

Today I was talking to a fellow teacher and was bragging about how good my 8th graders were today. One class is even allowed to bring a drink and snack into my room tomorrow. She mentioned that in her class today my name came up and several of my 8th graders told her that I hate them this year. Ouch! I do not hate my 8th graders and I hate that they think that. But I have not enjoyed them this year. They just don't care about school. They refuse to do their work and they want to talk all through class. So yes I have been frustrated with them and they are aware of this fact, but I most certainly don't hate them. So now I'm debating if I should just forget it and move on - because I don't teach to be liked by my students - or if I should talk to them tomorrow and try to explain to them (again) that I just want them to do their work and pay attention in class. I just feel so bad now. How could I have let my actions and words cause my 8th graders to feel this way.

6 comments:

  1. I was that kid. Never doing the homework or the class work for that matter, talkin in class and all. no matter what you do they will still say you h8 them. and trust me it is worse the worse there grade is lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Elaine I wish I had an answer or advice for you. All I can say is pray about it tonight and tomorrow and ask the Lord if you should even say anything to them. That age is so hard! Just know that you are doing a great job!! Don't let those lil stinkers bring you down!

    I wish you the best tomorrow and the days ahead of you!

    God bless... May peace be with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, I'm sorry this teacher even told you this. I don't know that I would say anything to them. They are in 8th grade...they are children but they are going to do what they want. You can't beat anything into them, you can't force them to learn. Ya know? I would concentrate on the ones that show a desire to learn and the ones that refuse, you really can't do anything about that. Their grade will reflect their lack of desire. When they do have a good day...I would brag on them! I'll be praying you have wisdom and know what to do.

    ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been there.....I had a student once say, "My sister said you hated her." I felt so terrible. It was true she wasn't my favorite student, buy I didn't hate her and I felt bad that she took it that way.

    As the years have passed I've come to care less and less what students think of me. You can make yourself crazy if you make sure that they all like you. I try to be myself and give them my all when teaching them--the rest is up to them.

    My two cents,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I found your blog thru Jill's site... and as a fellow teacher, I can relate. I used to teach a book class... quite a bit different than choir... and those kids thought I hated them too.
    I wouldn't say anything. I think if they thought it bothered you that they think you don't like them, they'll be worse...and they'll say more.
    Try to talk to kids one on one more. Call them up to your desk and encourage them one on one to try harder. Tell them you know they are smart and can do better than they are. Look at them right in the eyes with concern and they will see that. I think when they see you care and take an interest in them one on one... they try harder.
    Hope you don't mind advice from a stranger!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would not take this to heart, 8th graders are liable to say anything. I think I would just let it go.

    ReplyDelete