Monday, February 23, 2009

Simple Life Day #7

Always Ready

Heal me, O Lord, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved: for thou art my praise. Jeremiah 17:14

It was a sultry summer day, and Barbara's husband, Amos, was in the fields bailing hay. Barbara had been busy in the kitchen all morning, cleaning and baking. She glanced across the room, where her infant daughter lay sleeping in her cradle. Matthew and Benjamin, ages four and six, were outside playing on the porch. "So much to do here," she said with a sigh. "And I really should help Amos with the bailing."
For the next several hours, Barbara rushed from the fields to the house, helping her husband handle the bales of hay, mopping floors, and caring for the children. By evening, she was exhausted.
The following day, Barbara came down with a terrible headache. She took some aspirin, hoping she would feel better by the time they got to their friends' house, where they had been invited for supper. When they returned home, Barbara's headache was worse.
"I hope I feel better in the morning," she told Amos, as they prepared for bed. "I have berries and peas to pick, plus several loads of laundry to do."
During the night, Barbara's body heated with fever. She awoke the following morning, feeling worse and knowing she couldn't do any of her chores. Thankfully, her sister showed up to help, along with Amos's brother and parents.
When Barbara's fever went higher and she was unable to get out bed, Amos took her to the doctor. Although Barbara heard all that was being said, she could make no response or even move. She was sure any minute would be her last.
Am I ready to leave this world? she asked herself. Am I sure that if I died right now I would to heaven? She whispered a silent prayer. Lord, forgive me for any wrongs I have done. Thank You for sending Jesus to die for my sins. Later that day, after a shot and intravenous fluid, Barbara felt well enough to return home. The doctor said he wasn't sure of the cause of her mysterious malady, but Barbara was thankful to be alive and to have her health restored.
Although we have responsibilities that we have to take care of, the things of this world should never be our complete focus. We should always be thankful for our good health, but we need to remember that it could be taken from us at any time. More importantly, we must be ready to meet Jesus, for no one knows what the future holds. God has promised to forgive our sins. All we have to do is ask.
"And Jesus answering said unto them, they that are whole need not a physician; but they that are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance" (Luke 5:31-32)

FOOD FOR THOUGHT: It should be our main interest in this world to secure an interest in the next.

FOOD FOR THE BODY: Crushed Pineapple Upside Down Cake
1 20-ounce can crushed pineapple
1/2 cup butter, unsalted
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2 cups pastry flour, sifted
1 3/4 cups sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup shortening
1 egg
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 9-inch pan. Combine undrained pineapple, butter, and brown sugar in a bowl. Spread on the bottom of the pan, Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in another bowl. Add the shortening, egg, milk, and vanilla. Beat well. Pour over the fruit mixture in the pan and bake for 45-50 minutes. Turn the cake upside down and eat plain or serve with whipped topping.



Several things about this story really stood out to me tonight. Instead of trying to share all of my thoughts at once, this is going to be one of those where I spend a few days on it.

Tonight I will start with the very first thing that stood out to me and that was Barbara's attitude. She definitely has a great work ethic. She was taking care of the children and doing her chores. That in itself is a lot of work. But, while she was doing this she was thinking about things she could do to help her husband. She helped him bail hay. Now, I have never bailed hay, but I can't imagine that to be easy work.

A few weeks ago, Andrew cleaned our house. And I mean really cleaned it. Well at least the living room and kitchen. It is fairly simple to keep a clean house clean. It just takes a little bit of constant work. This is work for me. I'm a lazy bum, I'll confess. But I really enjoy my home when it is clean. I don't stress when I get a surprise visitor like I received this weekend. I have to make myself put things int he dishwasher when I'm finished eating. Sad, I know. But, my attitude toward my chores is slowly changing. These small things are becoming habits. I've really felt like I should do this the past few days because Andrew has been sick.

Anyways, sorry - I got a little off track. Barbara begins to get a headache. This would be enough to stop a lot of us, or at least it would be to stop me. But nope, not that Barbara. She keeps right on working and visiting with friends. I think that is awesome. What a great attitude. Can you tell her heart is focused on things it should be.

Our attitude is a direct reflection of our heart. When we focus on God and His kingdom, our attitude shows it. I know that when I spend time with God, I'm in a much better mood. Works every time. Don't believe me? Try it. Prove me wrong. I guarantee He'll work in your heart and you'll attitude will improve. That is my prayer for you and me this week. That we would stop our busy lives and spend time with God. Let him work in us. I think we will all be happy with the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment