Monday, February 2, 2009

Simple LIfe Day #5

I know that I did not post a Simple Life last week. I could easily offer you a million excuses, I spent part of the week sick, I was busy with home improvement projects, blah blah blah. The truth is I fell down on it. I simply chose other things over this. That is part of the reason I'm sure that I was in a funk for several days last week. I want to say I'm sorry for falling down on the job. I also want to thank Kathie for calling me out on it. She mentioned that my Simple Life post was missing. I really appreciate that. I need more people like that. I'm sure we all do.

Now on with this week's Simple Life

A DOUBLE TREAT

A patient man has great understanding, but a quick-tempered man displays folly. Proverbs 14:29

"Heavenly Father," Irma prayed, staring out the window at the snow-covered schoolyard, "please give me the wisdom to know how to deal with my unruly students."
This was Irma's first year of teaching at the one-room schoolhouse, and the last few months had been difficult. Many of the children acted as if they wanted to be in control. Others seemed insecure and unwilling to do their assignments. Some pupils were rowdy, ignoring her instructions. Irma had lectured, punished, and threatened to tell the children's parents if things didn't change. So far, nothing had worked.
When Irma heard children's laughter in the schoolyard, she drew in a deep breath and opened the front door. She stepped onto the porch just in time to see a snowball speeding her way. She ducked, but not quickly enough. The icy sphere hit her arm with a splat.
Irma gritted her teeth. She was certain that Michael, the boy who'd thrown the snowball, had done it on purpose. He'd been the instigator of several things int he past.
I will not let my anger get the best of me. There must be a way to deal with this. She closed the door and went to the coatroom, where she had left the wicker basket she'd brought from home. She placed it on her desk, just as several noisy scholars tromped into the room.
Irma waited until the children had removed their wraps and taken their seats before she spoke. "Today we will begin class with hot chocolate and cookies," she said, removing a thermos and a plate of cookies from the basket.
Mary Alice's hand shot up, "How come?"
Irma's smiled. "Because it's cold outside, and I want to let you know how special you are to me."
The room became quiet, until another hand shop up.
"Yes, Michael?"
" I think you're special, Teacher, and I'm sorry for throwing that snowball."
"I forgive you." Tears welled up in Irma's eyes. If I had known what a little hot chocolate and some cookies could do, I would have brought them to school sooner.
Often, when we are frustrated because things don't go our way or someone does something to upset us, we respond in anger. Scripture reminds us, however, that the best antidote for anger is prayer. "He that is slow to anger is better than the might; and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city" (Proverbs 16:32)
There is a time for correction, but it should never be done in anger. Many times the best lesson is learned from encouragement. Is there someone you might encourage today?

FOOD FOR THOUGHT: Correction does much, but encouragement does more.

FOOD FOR THE BODY: Double Treat Cookies
2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 cups shortening
2 cups peanut butter
4 eggs
3 cups flour
6 cups quick-cooking oats
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Blend by hand until ingredients are evenly and thoroughly mixed. Shape dough into balls. Place on a cookie sheet and flatten with a glass dipped in sugar. Bake ten minutes or until done.

WOW! Guess I better start baking. :) I immediately began laughing and smirking when I began to read this. First of all the first couple of paragraphs - so the way it's been going for me lately. I know exactly how Irma felt. And when that snowball hit her and she didn't say a word? I know that I would have immediately sent the kid to the principal. Irma didn't have that option though. I can't imagine being the only teacher. Scary.

As I read on, I went from smirking to being teary-eyed. I love the way she handled this. I posted a few days ago about how my eighth graders told another teacher I hate them. I know this is because of my words and my actions. I have not been very encouraging to them. I have had the attitude of they don't care so why should I? I can't believe I as a teacher slipped into this attitude. But I've noticed since posting that, that when I go into my classes (especially 8th grade) with a positive attitude and a determination to enjoy that 48 minutes, it goes so much better. I had been praying to have better days, but didn't really believe that I would. I got and do get what I expect - what I put into it.

Maybe this over the top, but this devotional really does make want to bake cookies for my classes. I'm already doing the math, thinking I have seven classes with approximately 20 kids per class. I need 2-3 dozen per class so that 14-21 dozen cookies. Wow that is a LOT of cookies. It would be so much easier to go to Wal-Mart and buy them. But I really do want to spend this weekend baking cookies and praying for my kids and me while baking. I figure I can bake a few Friday, a few Saturday, and a few Sunday. I just hope I still have this feeling come Friday. :)

Even if you are not a teacher, I think we can take something from this devotional. How many times have you been guilty of reacting to your spouse out of anger. I know I do this more often than I would care to admit. Andrew doesn't even have to be the source of my anger. A bad day at school or a trip to the dentist will cause me to take out my feelings on him. He has said before that we tend to do this more with family and friends that we truly love and trust. We feel we can say anything to them and they will still be there. Yes, we should be open with people, but that isn't a free pass to speak in anger.

My prayer this week is that I and you will act in patience and in prayer. My secret pal that gave me this Simple Life book gave me a gift Friday. In it was a morning devotional book. I opened it today and ready today's devotional. It talked about how we should always pray about temptations. We should never wait until we are tempted to pray. It's pretty much too late at that point. Always be preparing for the battle. That is so true of this. Don't wait until you are angry to pray that you won't speak. Continually pray that in this situation you will have the wisdom and the strength to just keep your mouth shut. :)

At church we began a new series Sunday called Turning Up the Heat. It is awesome already. It is about living passionately. I can so feel God working on me and relighting the fire so to speak. I have been feeling this way for several months now, but for whatever reason it is like I just won't let the fire really get going. I'm asking that you pray for me and I'll do the same for you. Let's get excited about God again. Isn't He worthy of that?


And by the way I must add -- Finally a recipe I want to try. :)

1 comment:

  1. I love these stories and the recipe. I am so glad about J also. I put him on our prayer list at church and will continue to pray for him. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete