Tuesday, February 24, 2009

This is why I teach...

I wanted share how great the past few days have been because I know I've begged for prayer on this issue. My eighth graders have been awesome first of all. For the past few week actually. They enjoy going outside to play football so we've been working a deal. When it is nice out, if we get our work done, they can spend a few minutes outside.

But the past few days have been so much fun. We started a unit yesterday on circuits. Yesterday we looked at a few scientists who worked with Thomas Edison on the light bulb or other electrical inventions. I informed them yesterday they would do a report on one of those scientists and report their findings to the class. They all moaned off coarse. Then we got started and they got so excited they completely forgot about the report. I spent all afternoon Sunday cutting apart Christmas lights and stripping wire. Yesterday they got to see how you can make a Christmas light light up with nothing but a battery. They were so amazed. You would have thought I was the most brilliant scientists EVER for coming up with this. :) It was so great to see them excited. This was just the introduction. We are going to do so much more with circuits. I can't wait. I know they are really going to love building the headlights and blinkers in a car. :)

Then today, I took them to the computer lab to research those scientists. They weren't real thrilled at first. I'll admit I didn't know anything about the scientists before today. The kids started researching and learned that one of the guys died of a drug overdose, one built a bomb, one was in a lawsuit with Edison, and several other things like that. To eighth grade students, these are the coolest things ever. They were so excited. They are planning skits and songs and all the cool ways to present the information. I can't wait. We are going to video them. I won't put the videos on here because I'm just not comfortable with that but I will definitely share about them with you. I know they are going to be great and hilarious. I have some real "actors" in my classes.

Anyways, I've just been so excited that they are loving class and we're having fun again. I've been telling everyone I know. This is why I teach. Watching these kids have fun again and enjoy class and learning - well it makes me forget those not so fun days.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad things are going well! The stuff you are doing does sound cool. :)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. fun stuff! glad things are going better

    ReplyDelete