Monday, March 23, 2009

DC Day #5

Today didn't start off near as early as I expected and boy was I thankful for that. The original plan was to be on the first metro train this morning which left @ 5:32 AM. Thankfully Andrew didn't wake up that early. We got up and left the condo around 8. We went to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing first to pick up our tickets. Amazingly they had some left for today. We didn't even need to get up at five for tickets. Then we walked headed over to Federal Triangle to see the White House.

We went into the White House Visitors Center first. It was pretty cool. Told about the history of the White House, Presidential Inaugurations, Parties at the White House, and lots of other things. Then we headed to the actual White House. I must tell you, I was very disappointed. Compared to everything else in this city, the White House stinks. Maybe it was because I couldn't get to it. I could only stand at a distance and look. It was sort of like just seeing it on TV or in a book. Very anti climatic, but at least I can say I've seen it.



After that let down, we went to the Museum of Modern Art. We weren't even in there thirty minutes. I guess we just aren't cultured people. I'm okay with that. Then we went next door to the National Museum of American Indians. This was pretty cool. We watched a thirteen minute video that was awesome. You sit in a round room and in the middle there is a rock looking thing which part of the video is projected onto. They make it look like fire and drums and other things. Around that rock is four post with walls connecting them and white blankets draped over the wall. The main part of the video is projected onto these blankets. The rest of the video is projected on a dome ceiling. VERY COOL!!! Possibly my favorite part of the day.
We ate lunch at this museum. Andrew had the Indian part and I of course had the American part. :) He had a chicken chipotle fired taco thing. It was very colorful and pretty. Do I even need to tell you what I ate? :)

Then it was time to head back to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing for our tour. I have never seen so much money in my life. We watched them make around 15 million bucks. It was really neat. Learned quite a bit.






After all that money, we headed to the National Museum of Natural Science. Parts of this were pretty cool. We didn't stay long though because it was all about evolution and quite frankly that is a bunch of garbage. Plus we were really tired. We came home for a nap.

Once it was dark outside, we got ready to go see Iwo Jima - The Marine Memorial. This was one of the most if not the most awesome thing we've seen. It was really cool and awesome at night. I don't think it would have been quite as cool during the day. We got some really awesome night time shots of the memorial and the city lights.




We are back at the condo now and getting ready for bed. Uncle Kevin is here tonight and tomorrow night so we are enjoying visiting with him and getting to say thank you again for letting us stay in this awesome condo.

As for pictures, we finally bought a cable in hopes that I could upload pics using the Internet from the phone. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working so still no pictures. :(


That's all for today. Will be back tomorrow for lots of adventures. Tomorrow's plans include the National Zoo, National Cathedral, & Mount Vernon. We are hoping for a National Treasure tour at Mt. Vernon.

1 comment:

  1. I love hearing about your trip! I am so happy that you are enjoying yourself! What an awesome experience!

    ReplyDelete