Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Dc Day #6

This morning we woke up and hike to the National Cathedral. I do mean hiked. We rode the metro as far as it would take us but then still had about a mile left to walk. Most of this mile was on a light uphill sidewalk. We got there a few minutes early so we just wandered around down on the main floor. This place was huge and very ornate. We signed up for the Behind the Scenes Tour. This was a great idea. We literally went behind the scenes. We got to up in towers to look at the stained glass windows up close and personal, we walked on the ceiling, went up in the attic, and out on the roof. It was really awesome to sort of get the history of the cathedral this way. Our tour guide was awesome. She was this little old woman who gave the impression that she had been at the cathedral her whole life. I enjoyed her so much that at the end I asked to have my picture with her for the scrapbook. I know I can't show you this picture but I have to tell you it was the weirdest picture I've ever taken. She stared at me the whole time. She would not look at the camera. I really wonder why so if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.









After the cathedral we hiked back to the metro and rode over to Union Station for some lunch. Andrew had some sort of Asian food that he really enjoyed and I had a delicious cheese burger from an old diner like place called Johnny Rockets.

After lunch we caught a cab to Mount Vernon. I was excited to be here because this was another place that was featured in National Treasure. It was really cool. Learned quite a bit. And while standing in line to get in to the Washington's home, we turned around and there stood a couple wearing razorback jackets. Turned out they were from Cabot, so we talked to them for a while. On our way down to the tombs, we passed maybe the cutest thing I've ever seen. Baby sheep just baaing away. It was such a cute little sound. Then there were two big sheep that kept ramming each other heads. The sound that came from this activity sounded very painful to say the least. Mount Vernon was really neat though. Washington had an awesome home. Oh and he loved color. Most rooms were some shade of blue, but there were a couple of green rooms, and a yellow room. I loved it.




After Mount Vernon, it was back to the condo to crash for the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment