Monday, February 15, 2010

Saw The Bone Off!

About a month ago I noticed that I was having some pain in my right foot. It was only at night when I was sleeping. And only when I laid on the inside of my right foot. As soon as I rolled over so that I wasn't laying on that part of my foot all pain went away.

I finally investigated, but my foot appeared to be normal other than slightly calloused. I didn't say anything to Drew. I didn't want to be a cry baby.

After another week goes by and I'm still having pain I finally mentioned it to him in passing, acting as if it was no big deal.

A another 3 or 4 days go by and I noticed that the bone right below my big toe on my right foot is sticking out way further than the one on my left foot. I mean it was BAD! I showed Drew. He told me to go to the doctor. I ignored him.

A few days later I showed it to our school nurse to get her opinion. When I got my shoe and sock off I noticed that my foot was now all bruised.

The bruising seems to come and go. Some days its worse than others. I thought maybe it was dependent on which shoes I wore, but nope.

She too told me to go to the doctor. But I just couldn't bring myself to miss a day of school over my foot.

On Friday the 5th I noticed it was hurting when I stood. Not a good sign.

I was supposed to go see the doctor the other day because we were out of school on Friday. But I was in a funk and didn't feel like going even though I woke up Friday morning because my foot was burning. It was inflamed BIG TIME!!

After it bothering me all weekend I resolved to go today.

The doctor declared that I have a bunion. I asked how to fix it? He said... saw the bone off.

Not what I wanted to hear.

He set me up an appointment with a podiatrist for Tuesday afternoon. We'll see what they have to say. But my doctor today pretty much said from his experience without surgery it will never go away and probably get worse.

Needless to say I'm freaking out a little. Although I'm trying to be calm until after my appointment Tuesday.

Hoping some of you might be able to help with that. Have any of you ever had a bunion? Did you have surgery or let it be?

2 comments:

  1. OH dear! They used to have some bunion stuff in the Dr. Scholl's section. Not sure what it did. I have heard of lots of people having surgery on their feet. Sandi did - on both feet. You might ask her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend that has had several surgeries on both of her feet. YIKES! I'm with Mom, ask Sandi. I'm so sorry though...it sounds like you are in a lot of pain. :( Let us know what the doc says!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete