Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Would You Rather?

What a fun game to pass the time! My sweet husband and his friends have come up with some of the nastiest "Would You Rather" questions I've ever heard. I'm talking make you lose your appetite for days kind of nasty. And of course they make these up while we are eating.

Today's visit with the podiatrist left me with my own "Would You Rather" question. She basically gave me three options.

Option #1: Get a cortisone shot, which she offered to give me today. This does not fix the bone deformity, but it takes away the pain. She said she injected herself two years ago and hasn't had any pain since. With this option the chances of me needing surgery some day are still very high. I did not take the cortisone shot today. Something about it just scared me a little. I wasn't prepared to take any sort of action that quickly. I needed time to think it all over.

Option #2: Go ahead and have the surgery. They would put me to sleep. While that terrifies me, it is definitely a lot less terrifying than being awake hearing the sound of them sawing away at my bone. I would wear a boot and be banned from driving and walking for a month. That's right. Very little to NO walking for an entire month. Crazy. After that month, it's another two months before I can run, jog, or do any sort of exercise. And probably a year before I'm completely healed. They put in rods to keep the bone in place. She said 9 out of 10 times this will permanently fix the problem.

Option #3. No surgery. There is a good chance that my foot will continue to get worse. Eventually my big toe will curve behind all my little toes. At this point they would no longer do bunion surgery. The pain is no longer at the location of the bunion. It is on the toe next to your big toe because it is up high since it is on top of your big toe. It rubs against your shoe and that is what causes pain at this point. There is an easier surgery to fix this. Forget cutting off the bone, they cut off your entire second toe. How crazy is that!!

So.... Would you rather have your bone cut off or your toe cut off?

I am going with option #2. Since I will need to be off my foot for a month, I am not going to do it during Spring Break next month. I'm going to wait until this summer. Once Andrew and I find out what our share of the cost will be, we will schedule a date. This also means that if we plan to take a vacation this summer we will have to do it as soon as school is out. Once I have this surgery there will be no hiking through the Grand Canyon like we were dreaming about.

I'm definitely scared about all this, but at the same time I have such peace about it. I know that it will all be okay. And option 2 is definitely better than option 3. The longer I wait to have the surgery the worse this bunion is going to get and the harder my recovery time will be.

This all means it looks like my summer will be spent wearing a not so fashionable boot and staying off my foot. I will just read and scrapbook all day. :) Only question is... who's going to bring me food. I might have to move my bed into the kitchen. HA! That would make for great pictures for my Project 365.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your sweet comment! I totally follow what you are saying. I can see your point of view from your situation. Our situations are different, but the same in some aspects! I think many people are just nosey!! They want a little glimpse into your personal life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely #2 - while you will be out of commission as far as walking - eventually you will be well. Being put to sleep is not bad at all - in fact, it's some of the best sleep I've ever had! I am praying for you to have peace and not be afraid.

    ReplyDelete